The Bainbridge Prepares initiative is a unique combination of agency- and citizen-led teams, working in collaboration to make our island community more resilient. Our journey to become the most prepared town in Washington state will only be successful with widespread citizen involvement and leadership. Please take a quick look through the list of Bainbridge Prepares teams below; we’d love to have you!
Amber Richards is organizing several agency-led committees for COBI while Luke Carpenter continues to build the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) via BIFD and Scott James creates a series of citizen-led teams via Bainbridge Prepares. Should you be interested in volunteering with one of these teams, please directly contact the leads within each team below:
- Individual Preparedness: Jan Carey (retired Department of Justice, Homeland Security, FEMA), Allen Elliott (Information Technology), Rebecca Judd (Kitsap Regional Library), Katie Fisher (entrepreneur and social media guru), and Amy Waeschle (medicine instructor for the Wilderness Medicine Institute and former National Outdoor Leadership School Field Instructor). Rob Dalton (Executive Creative Director) also advises this team.
- Hubs (shelter system): Danie Chang (retired Air Force logistics), Russ Berg (entrepreneur, CERT), Tyler Heinemann (Ham operator, CERT), and Colleen Huck, IBCLC.
- Psychological First Aid: Anne Smith (Psychotherapy Guild) and Britt Gonsoulin (MD, MPH). Team also includes Susan James (MSW, LICSW) and Shannon McKee (MSW, LICSW).
- Child Safety and Family Reunification: Kari Murphy (Girl Scouts) and Susie Burdick (KidiMu). Team also includes Derrick Capdeville (Boys & Girls Club), Trish King (Island School), Sonja Ross (Island Cooperative Preschool), Jen Kochenash (Odyssey parent), Dr. Jeff McCormick (BISD), Doug Slingerland (Parks & Rec), Maryanne DeSimone (retired educator), Mike McCloud (BHS Paraeducator and BIESPA President), and Kathy Haskin (Peacock Family Services).
- Animal Care: Lisa Horn (West Sound Wildlife Shelter) and Eric Stevens (Humane Society). Team also includes Diana George (PAWS), Mindy Anderson (Aunty Min’s), Natalie Smith (Humane Society), and Dr. Liz Greenlees and Dr. Bob Harrington.
- Vulnerable Populations: Rita Elsberry (Island Volunteer Caregivers), Paul Stumme-Diers (Bethany Lutheran, Interfaith Council). Team also includes Phedra Elliott (Housing Resources Bainbridge), Myra Howrey (Helpline House), and Ray Strazdin (CERT, IVC).
- Medical Surge: Roxanne Corff, RN. This team also includes Dr. David Cowan (MD), Linda Shadwell (RN), Karla Mather (RN), Helen Jung (pharmacist), Wendy Jones (RN), Elliott Green (engineer, logistics), Phil Fergusson (retired pharmacist), Ken Warman (GIS mapping), and Dr. Danielle Cheung (MD).
- Spontaneous Volunteers: Tom McCloskey and Jim Hopper (Bainbridge Community Foundation).
- Strategic Partnerships: Tom McCloskey and Terry Kirby (Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island).
- Continuity: Tom McCloskey, Jerri Lane (Bainbridge Island Downtown Association) and Rex Oliver (Bainbridge Chamber of Commerce).
- Flotilla: Tami Allen (Harbormaster).